What is meant by guest post?
Been wondering about what is a guest post? How is it different from a daily blog post? How can it possibly benefit you? You’re at the right place. Let us answer all of these right from the start.
When you write an article and post it on someone else’s blog, it is known as a Guest Post or a Guest Blog. When you find someone else’s blog to blog on then you are the ‘guest author’. Guest posts play an integral role when you think about building your brand reputation in your respective industry.
Let us have a look at the benefits associated with guest blogging.
- It helps you attract traffic back to your website
- It boosts your domain authority using external links to high-authority domains
- It helps you work on your brand credibility and awareness
- Lastly, it allows you to build relationships with peers in your respective industries
When you share your expertise on other people’s blogs, it establishes you as an authority figure within your market and exposes your brand to an entirely new audience. Usually, the guest bloggers write for blogs that are relevant and closely associated with their own business. This is more like a two-way street which not only benefits the guest blogger but the website hosting the guest content as well. The only thing that you should remember is to feature posts by guest bloggers on your own website, too. By featuring these guest posts on your own blog will assist you to deliver fresh perspectives and newer content to your audience. This will help you maintain an engagement with your readers unlike the regular content, which becomes a bit monotonous for the readers.
Another important question that frequently arises is whether guest posting relevant to SEO?
No matter what is the quality of your content, Google always looks for backlinks on your website so as to identify you as a trustworthy site. More importantly, you need links coming in not from a single domain but multiple domains.
While a lot of guest post opportunities offer guest writers an author bio where they can link to their site, it is recommended to choose blogs that allow you to put a link in the body of the article because readers are more likely to see it there and click on it.
Note that Google cares about the quality of the link source even more than the link itself. Therefore, only post if you can get your blog on a well-respected site.
There are various blogs like OpenView which source the bulk of their content from other leaders in their industry.
Important Things to Remember About Guest Posts/ Blog
Remember that a guest blog is not an advertisement rather a value-add for your audience. Therefore, what’s important to notice is that your guest blogs should be focused to teach your reader, not promote your own product or service. Write guest blogs with the purpose of establishing yourself as an authority figure in your field, introducing your name to a new target audience and building genuine relationships with other bloggers or businesses in your industry.
Have a look at few other quick tips to help you enhance your guest blogging strategies below-
- Start with writing a clear, concise author bio. While some companies allow you to include links back to your website within the main body of your blog, many of them do not. Therefore, your bio becomes the only place in your guest post that will include a permanent link back to your website.
- Make sure you include at least one relevant internal link back to one of the company’s previous blog posts within your guest post. This is not only appreciated but would increase their authority and traffic, which in turn would benefit you.
- Do not forget to conclude each post with a call-to-action that asks readers to leave comments. Because, the more people to comment on and share your blog, the more popular your post will become in a SEO search.
- The most obvious thing to do is to promote your guest blog post on your own social media networks like Twitter. This is a pleasant gesture which will also generate more traffic back to your guest blogger and their business.
- Lastly, always use Google Analytics to track how much traffic your guest post is generating. This will provide you a broader idea of what readers want to hear about and see what is working for your business.
Once you go through all these tips, you can easily avoid writing or accepting spammy content and that’s how you can reap the maximum benefits out of guest blogging.